<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://fancyfrugallife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Fancy Frugal Life: Under the Stairs Closet turned Kids Book Nook

Monday, September 10, 2012

Under the Stairs Closet turned Kids Book Nook





Good morning friends!! I am so excited to show you this reading nook/playhouse I have created for my kids in the closet underneath our stairs! I think it's my favorite spot in our house right now! 
When we looked at this house and I saw the mini closet I immediately knew my kids would love that area and I was right. As soon as we moved in they started bringing in toys and books and playing down there. And since it's right next to the kitchen started ordering room service! ha
My husband thought I was kind of nutty for creating this right next to the dining room, but I think it's fun...
Welcome to "The Club" as my kids call it!
Right before we moved to Fresno I hustled to Ikea to buy this canopy for $10 knowing it would be great here... 
We love everything Dr. Seuss, so I wanted to incorporate some colorful Seuss inspired details.


The focal point is this bookshelf I stenciled with red paint and my Royal Designs Studio stencil. It did take me a couple hours to do this tiny wall, but I love the outcome! I did a tutorial with this very stencil on another project here.
I love the red and turquoise so much!



Last week I showed you how I made my Dr. Seuss wall art 
 by cutting up these dollar bin bags and wrapping them around square canvases.


They are so inexpensive and create such a big impact. The READ letters are from Joann's and I painted them with craft paint.


My husband brought a random white board home from work years ago and I spray painted it along with this little holder from the thrift store. It was bronze before I painted it!
I brought a roll of chalkboard adhesive from Hobby Lobby with me and used some on the doors. 
(I already of Hobby Lobby withdrawals....ugh the closest one is 90 min away!) Boo..
Can you believe the window boxes are just one box cut in half and then spray painted?! They are hung with command strips. I had a few flowers already in the garage so this project turned out to be things I already had! Love when that happens....
Ok I am especially proud of these box shelves from Hobby Lobby. On my last trip there I found these for 90% off. So I paid $5 each. They are $50 full price!!!! They were however a little banged up so I used a red sharpie to fill in a few nicks,,,,
My daughter loves Oliva :) 
This was a fun project. I painted a canvas black then used a white paint pen to trace my Wimpy Kid image.
Here's a fun post on how to draw him. My son loves these books and has started to draw him too! I'm glad they have their own special shelf...By the way I scored the set for a buck each at a garage sale. Yay!
Also the pencil bookends are from my childhood. Thanks mom for saving stuff like that!

I found a home for the rainbow wreath I made for my daughter's last rainbow themed birthday....
The magnetic board is from Ikea.


This is her favorite area!
The seating are two chairs we had...I do hope to score a good deal on a bean bag soon..

Thanks for stopping by "The Club"...My daughter squealed "Is this all for us?"....So I think I impressed her a little. :)
I love this area because it's a great use of things I already had and a few new bargains!

Have a beautiful day! Thanks for stopping by...


Follow along and never miss a post!!
Follow along here.
A Mommy’s Blog Design Free Pinterest Social Media IconFacebookRSS FeedEmailTwitter

Joining these fab parties: 

Chef In Training



SNAP!



The 36th AVENUE


The Shabby Nest



Create & Inspire Linky Party


Skip To My Lou Making
Reasons To Skip The Housework


A++

19 Comments:

At September 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM , Blogger Michele Smith said...

Too cute, this is adorable!!! We have an area under the stairs but we use it for our "computer room" LOL
I love that canopy! You did a great great job.

 
At September 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks amazing - how fun for your kids! Spaces like this they will remember forever. :)

 
At September 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM , Blogger Abi's Blog said...

So very cute! Makes me wish I had a two story home. The grandchildren and I would love this!
Blessings,
Ava

 
At September 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Gina Williams said...

Such a great use of space! It looks incredible. I love your simplistic approach to things. They all really pop when put together.

 
At September 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM , Blogger lovingmomma @ Happy As A Lark said...

Very adorable!! Looks like so much fun!!

 
At September 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM , Blogger BeanBugCrafts said...

Very Cute, we Love Dr. Seuss!!! Love the stenciling. Stopping by from Tip Junkie, thanks for sharing.

Anna @ Bean Bug Crafts

 
At September 11, 2012 at 5:45 PM , Blogger Kim said...

This is DARLING! I LOVE, LOVE this. I'm sure your kids never want to come out. Would love for you to share this at my link party. Hope to see you there!
http://www.thesasselife.com/2012/09/crafty-sasse-wednesday-link-party-45.html
Kim

 
At September 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Monica Grondin said...

This is so cute! It makes me wish I had a space like that!

 
At September 11, 2012 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

Your kids must feel so super special to have their own space like that. I love the big READ letters too what a great pop of colour. I bet they keep quiet in there for ages :)

 
At September 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Very cute! We thought about doing that with our area... but there is no carpet, nails sticking out of the walls and we are renting... Coming to you from the blog hop. :)

 
At September 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM , Blogger Brandi said...

Seriously so cute. Your children must be so thrilled to have their own reading space.

 
At September 13, 2012 at 5:14 AM , Blogger Tracy Snyder said...

What an awesome space for your kiddos. I think I would like to join that club. Great work, love all the details!!!

 
At September 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM , Blogger Margo said...

This is so awesome!

 
At September 14, 2012 at 6:49 AM , Blogger Redfly Classroom said...

Love it! It is so fun, any kid would love to go in there! I love the Dr. Seuss art-that was a great idea to use the bags.

Melissa
redflycreations.blogspot.com

 
At September 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

This is the best reading nook ever! You are so lucky to have such a cute space in your house, I'm so jealous.

www.2littlesuperheroes.com

 
At September 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM , Blogger My Dream Canvas said...

What a cute space!! I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas.

 
At September 17, 2012 at 3:13 AM , Blogger moonsword said...

So spectacularly cool...my little nephew would love this! My favorite book as a kid was "My Secret Garden" and I would have been over-the-moon-happy with a Secret Garden version of this! Many thanks for sharing your amazing creativity!

 
At September 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM , Blogger April said...

SO cute! I love this nook-I would have LOVED this as a kid.

 
At December 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Victoria ObSEUSSed said...

I came to visit because I saw your Santa post on FB, then your Holiday decor on SNAP and I remembered these cute Dr. Seuss posts you linked up at obSEUSSed. This reading spot is genius and so vibrant. I love the Dr. Seuss theme and the wall hangings you made. I have extra bags (I always buy too much at the Target dollar spot when they have Seuss) and that is such a creative way to use them. Thanks for sharing your ideas at obSEUSSed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home